Monday, April 4, 2011

Filler-Uhhh....No

Okay, today at approximately 5:00PM it took $58.00 to fill up a 4-cylinder vehicle, did BP blow another underwater well? Oh, that's right, oil is now $108 dollars a barrel. I just purchased half a barrel of oil. I knew that filling up would cost me, which is why for the last three months I've set a $25-30 limit on gas procurement... which would sometimes get a half a tank or slightly more. So why did I even bother to fill-up, curiosity. I remember before I even knew how to drive, $5.00 worth of gas would get my mom across town on Sunday; then back and forth to work for the week. Now, five bucks just gets me as far as the next gas station. A gallon of regular gas in the late 80's was 0.89 9/10 a gallon, we are talking over a 400% increase, with gas in my area topping out at $3.79 9/10 a gallon.

First, we had the Iraq war to blame, then Katrina, Rita and BP. Now, we have Libya, oh yeah, and greed. It's the latter I have more of a problem with, cause in my opinion, helping the people of Libya was the right thing to do. Two, three years ago, I had a problem paying that much for gas, just to get back and forth to work. Now, I understand why the cost is what it is, and maybe blame is to harsh a word for Libya. Gaddafi, Khadafi, or Qaddafi whichever way its spelled on Mondays, did something to his own people and threatened far worse because they wanted change. If taking action costs $3.79 a gallon, then I am willing to accept that for the greater good.

The greed on the other hand, I cannot accept. Don't fleece me at the pump, and still report record profits. If I have to pay more, then so be it; but where is your sacrifice Big Oil? One barrel of oil generates between 42-45 gallons of gasoline...so my $58.00 should have been good for at least 21 gallons and I only have a 15 gallon tank... so the cost per gallon should be between $2.40- $2.60 a gallon, who gives a damn about processing and overhead, have you scene the economy, make a sacrifice.

I just purchased half a barrel of oil, and used approximately 85% of it. I consider that a 15% gratuity added to my tab, which is somewhat unfair, because I was very dissatisfied with the service.

No comments:

Post a Comment